Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers
& Friends Association, Inc.
"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay
and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."
Delaware Breakwater East End Light
Delaware Bay, DE
The Delaware Breakwater East End Light - Built in 1885, this 56' conical iron tower's 4th order lens was first lit in October of 1885. In May of 1903, it became the front range light for the new Delaware Breakwater Range, replacing the West End Light. Keepers were still on board through 1950 when automated. Located of Cape Henlopen, Delaware, it replaced Cape Henlopen Light, "toppled" by beach erosion on April 13, 1926. Since 1996, the light was owned by the State of Delaware. On September20, 2004, the Delaware River & Bay Authority and the Delaware River & Bay Lighthouse Foundation partnered to preserve this historic lighthouse. On the site public tours are available.
Photo by Carole F. Reily. Referenced from "Guiding Lights of the Delaware River and Bay" by Jim Gowdy and Kim Ruth.