Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers

& Friends Association, Inc. 

"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay

 and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."

 

Home
Lighthouses
How to Join
News Letter
Calendar of Events
Contact Us
Links
Merchandise
Guestbook

East Point Lighthouse

Delaware Bay, NJ

 

East Point Lighthouse, the last remaining beacon on the shoreline of the Delaware Bay, was built in 1849 and commissioned in 1852. In 1941, due to the onset of WWII, its 6th order flashing light was extinguished so that German submarines (known to come up into the bay) could not use it as a navigational aid. On July 15, 1971, trespassers accidentally started a fire that gutted the roof and upper floor of the Light. Due to the rebuilding effort of the Maurice River Historical Society, the USCG re-lit the beacon in July 0f 1980 and is still today a working aid to navigation marking the entrance/channel to the Maurice River. The society has received grants and the exterior restoration has begun. Further grants will allow the interior to also be restored.

 

Referenced from "Guiding Lights of the Delaware River and Bay" by Jim Gowdy and Kim Ruth

Web Hosting by The Creative Crowe design|develope|host|maintain with crow logo on green background

The Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers & Friends Association (DBLHKFA) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit preservation and educational organization.

Site Copyright 2004, Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers and Friends Association unless otherwise noted.  All images on site are copyright 2004 DBLHKFA unless otherwise noted.  For problems or questions regarding this web site contact kelly@delawarebaylightkeeper-friend.org.  Last updated: Mar. 20, 2017.