Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers
& Friends Association, Inc.
"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay
and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."
Elbow of Cross Ledge Lighthouse
Delaware Bay, NJ
Located off of Fortescue, NJ, Elbow of Cross Ledge was completed and lit in 1910 - and has been described as having a brown lantern on top of a red, octagonal brick dwelling, sitting on top of a brown cylindrical base. During a hurricane in 1951, The Elbow was damaged and the 4-man crew (who routinely slept in life jackets because of repeated blows from passing ships) were removed - never to return! Elbow was then automated via underwater cable. On Oct. 20, 1953, during a dense fog, Elbow was struck by an ore-laden freighter - leaving only the base and about the first 10' or the light! In 1954, an automated light was installed atop a red, steel skeleton tower on the original Elbow base - which still remains in operation today as an aid to navigation.
Referenced from "Guiding Lights of the Delaware River and Bay" by Jim Gowdy and Kim Ruth