Of the

Vice President

Gaylord F. (Dusty) Pierce

Our spring meeting was held at the Sea Isle City Yacht Club on Saturday, April 26. We all enjoyed the beautiful view while sitting

in the dining room waiting for the meeting to begin. After discussing many topics and having a buffet lunch, Phil Bur was introduced. He gave a very interesting, educational presentation and slide show on the history of Sea Isle City and the Ludlam's Beach Lighthouse. The Ludlam's Beach Lighthouse was constructed in 1885 on Ludlam's Beach at 31st Street in Sea Isle. Improvements and additions were made over the years. The present owner is planning to demolish the building to make way for a modern apartment building. This lighthouse is one of just eight remaining of the original nine coastal lighthouses built along the New Jersey coast. Friends of Ludlam's Beach Light in conjunction with the New Jersey Lighthouse Association are working to preserve and restore this important link to Sea Isle City's seafaring past.

Following a discussion and question and answer period, we motored to the lighthouse for a tour and to meet the present owner. From there

we went to Strathmere to visit the US Coast Guard Life Saving Station where our own Fred Ruddick and Charles Bolton were stationed. It was truly an enjoyable day. Our thanks to Peggy Stapleford for making all of this possible.

Saturday, June 14 was our first outreach for 2008 at the Bay Days in Bivalve, NJ. It was a beautiful day and we had a pleasant breeze as we worked talking to visitors about our organization, selling our merchandise and distributing information about our Delaware Bay Sunset Lighthouse Cruises. Right across from our tables, Bear, the Search and Rescue dog, was performing for the crowd. I had a chance to walk around and check out the exhibits. There were various displays on the ecology of the Bay, events being presented at the Sail Loft Marina, the Longreach Marina, the Haskin Shellfish Research Lab, the Salt Marsh Tent and the Wharf Tent. Music that appealed to various groups of listeners was being performed in a couple of the tents. And, as usual, I couldn't resist the aromas of the assortment of food; just had to sample a few!! Many events were planned for the children and who could refuse a sail on the beautiful AJ Meerwald, NJ's tall ship. We watched as oyster shuckers were presented with Lifetime Achievement Awards. East Point Lighthouse was also open for tours. It was truly an enjoyable day for all who attended. So, next year make it a point to "come on down" and "Celebrate Life on the Bay".

Our next meeting is our annual picnic meeting to be held at Hereford Inlet Lighthouse gazebo on Saturday, July 26. Steve Murray and Betty Mugnier will be giving a presentation on the lighthouse. If you would like to bring a food item, please sign up to do so. A brick honoring our past president Carole Reily will be dedicated at this meeting. Hope to see you all there.



We are sorry about the fadeout copy on the History of the Light in our Spring issue- here it is…..

Did you know that a "sister" to the Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse is "alive and well and living" in Wisconsin? Having previously resided just across the Delaware River in Essington, Pennsylvania, this sister was known as the Schooner Ledge Rear Range light. Like Tinicum, it too began guiding ships on the river in 1880. Its service was short lived, however. The lighthouse, identical to the Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse was dismantled around 1916. For many years no one knew for sure what happened to the dismantled lighthouse. Although it was known that the parts were taken away by railcar, some speculated that it was scrapped while some thought it may have been moved to a new location. The latter proved to be the case. The dismantled Schooner Ledge Rear Range lighthouse had, in fact, been shipped to the Great Lakes area sometime around 1919. The pieces lay on the ground until about 1929, when it was rebuilt as the new Michigan Island Light­house. Michigan Island is one of the Apostle Is­lands in Lake Superior and is part of the Apostle Islands Lakeshore under the jurisdiction of the Na­tional Park Service in Bayfield, Wisconsin. At 112 feet, the new tower became the tallest lighthouse in Wisconsin. Two changes were made to the re­built tower; its color was changed from black to white and the lantern room was altered so that the beam of light could be seen from various direc­tions, not just along a range line. It was no longer a range light. The lighthouse is located in a remote area. The NPS warns that only the most experienced boaters and sea kayakers should consider attempting a trip to this lighthouse, due to the great distance and exposed location. Visitation by tour boat may be offered during the summer months. (Information from "Guiding Lights of the Delaware River and Bay" by Jim Gowdy and Kim Ruth and National Park Service)

New Members

Sharon Hewitt, Membership Chairperson


Maureen Fitzgerald Bet

Walnutport PA 18088

Phil Bur

Gwndynn, PA

Vincent & Doris Saul

Norriton, PA

Membership Update

Single  62   Family 125  Total 307


Our Apologies to:

William and Joan Thievon for the name

“Typo” in the Spring Issue

under Scholarship Donations


Memorial Donations for the

Carole F. Reily Scholarship Fund

Valerie Constantini  John Lamar

William and John Thievon

Total Donations as of this issue is $2,023