As seen on the Cover Page of this Issue of the Bay Run
near the current location. of the present structure. The iron superstructure at part of
of the lighthouse exhibit at the International Centennial Exhibition in
was brought to the shoal and placed in position, where it became structure in 1877
The beacon, fully automated in 1973 is today still a working guide to navigation.
Elbow of Cross Ledge Lighthouse is located off of Fortescue and was completed
and lit in 1910 and described as having a brown lantern on top of a red octagonal
brick dwelling, sitting on top of a brown cylindrical base.
During a hurricane in 1951, the Elbow was damaged and the 4 man crew were
removed never to return again. The Elbow was automated via underground
cable. On October 20, 1953 during a dense fog, The Elbow was struck by an
ore laden freighter, leaving only the base and about the first 10ft. of the light.
In 1954 an automated light was installed a top a red steel skeleton tower on the
original Elbow base, which remains in operation today.
Miah Maull Shoal Lighthouse
Derived its strange name for a man named Nehemiah Maull drowned at this
site in late 18th century shipwreck. In 1909 a temporary light shone from a
cast iron shell. In 1913 the permanent light was exhibited from its 4th order
lens visible for 15 miles. Originally painted brown, by 1941had a red tower
and watch-room, black lanternroom and grey base.1980 renovations removed
canopy covering the walkway altering its appearance. By 1973 Miah Maul
was fully automated and is still an active guide to navigation & great fishing
Is located in the lower part of
channel. The “Victorian” style, was the first lighthouse to be built on a
submarine foundation, caisson sunk pneumatically 20 ft into the shoal. Its
4th order Fresnel lens was lit on Dec. 1, 1886, allowing the Fourteen Bank
Lightship to be taken off station. During 1930’s the entire cast iron structure
hip roof and privy on the railing was repainted white with black trim as it
today. Automated since 1972, its beacon provides safe passage to all ships
On the southern most part of
the first screwpile lighthouse built in the
lens shone brightly on October 28, 1850. After serving over 60 years, a new
conical structure, with less maintenance, was built on a reinforced concrete
caisson and lit on October 20, 1914.Brandywine Shoal is still an important
aid to navigation and was the last lighthouse on
Keeper on board! Automated in 1974…The end of a once proud era!
last remaining beacon on the shoreline o
1849 and commissioned in 1852. In 1941 due to the onset of WWII, its 6th
order flashing light was extinguished so German U-Boats (known to come
into the bay) could not use it as a navigational aid. On July 15, 1971,
trespassers started a fire that gutted the roof and upper floor of the light.
Due to the effort of
in July of 1960 and is today a working aid to navigation marking the
channel to the
and has reopen to visitors on an annual schedule For information contact
firstname.lastname@example.org or call (856) 546-7810